Ahlan wa Sahlan!
teaching at Penn began
in 1788. For most of the last two centuries, primary emphasis
in the language component of the program has been on the acquisition
of an advanced reading skill within the context of a tradition
of the study of the Orient in the ancient and medieval periods
built on the principles of philology. The study of Arabic
as a living language at Penn is of much more recent vintage.
It was with the foundation of the Middle
East Center at
Penn in the mid-1960's that steps began to be taken to change
the emphasis of the Arabic language program. More recently,
Penn's pioneer role in the implementation of proficiency-based
instruction and testing has made its Arabic program one of
the most prominent in the country.
© Arabic Department| 847Williams Hall | 36th & Spruce St.| Philadelphia, PA 19104-6305 |215-898-7467
Designed by: Hassan Nitami