Major & Minor Requirements
  Placement Test & Certificate
  Lang. Faculty
  Lang. & Cultural Activities
  Study Abroad & Scholarships

Study Abroad & Scholarships

Q: Why do I need to study abroad? All students are encouraged to seek a meaningful and lasting level of Chinese competence beyond the FL requirement sequences.  Study abroad is the solution to the insufficient exposure to the Chinese culture and interaction with native speakers.  

Q: Should I go to China in the fall, spring or the summer? Penn students have the choices of semester abroad and summer abroad depending on each student’s summer plan and four-year academic plan. A few motivated students like to take study abroad courses both in the summer and the fall, experiencing two different cities in China.  

Q: Where can I get information regarding semester abroad? Interested students should visit the Penn OIP office for information and guidance.

Q: Where can I get information regarding summer abroad?The Chinese Language Program organizes a summer study abroad information meeting early December every year. In the meeting, field directors/program assistants of recommended  programs are invited to Penn to meet Penn students. Past participants of these programs will also come to the meeting to share their experience. All students who are interested in summer study abroad should pay attention to the announcement of the time and place of this meeting.

Q: How many credits can I get for my summer abroad work?Usually two credits will be issued for summer abroad. Upon receiving the official transcripts, students may make an appointment with the Chinese program coordinator for the evaluation of language progress and receiving of Penn credits.

Q: Does Penn have its own study abroad program? Which program is the best one? Penn does not have its own program currently.  We recommend students study the features of different programs, such as host family, cities, competitiveness as well as course offerings;  then, make decisions based on individual preferences.

Q: What programs does the Chinese program recommend?

CET in Beijing: 2 semesters of college level equivalent
     CET in Harbin
     CET in Hangzhou
CIEE Beijing: Advanced Chinese Studies: 8 or more semesters of college level language (or equivalent)
     CIEE Beijing: Intensive Chinese Language: 3 semesters of college level language (or equivalent)
     CIEE Shanghai: China in a Global Context: 2 semesters of college level language (or equivalent)
Columbia  in Beijing  [http://www.ce.columbia.edu/Beijing]
     Columbia  in Shanghai
Harvard-Beijing Academy  (HBA)
Princeton in Beijing (PIB)

     Associate Colleges in China (ACC)

Chinese Government Scholarships
Please visit their website at:
Students also can send emails to the address below:

Check review sheets (Download form)

				Read reviews (Click Here)

Penn Global (The Office of International Programs) advises Penn undergraduates about study abroad. You may visit Penn Global and make an appointment with a Penn Abroad advisor to talk about your interests. There are a lot of opportunities for Penn students to study in China. The following is a simple list. For more details, including scholarship information, please visit: http://www.upenn.edu/oip/sa/programs/china.html