Bibliography on language-disorders in children
This bibliography was originally distributed to the LangUse listserv by Sabine
A.J. Wootton, 1997, Interaction and the development of mind. Cambridge
- Blank, M., Gessner, M., & Esposito, A. (1979). Language without
communication: A case study. Journal of Child Language, 6 (2) , 329-
- Brinton, B. & Fujiki, M. (1982). A comparison of request-
response sequences in the discourse of normal and language disordered
children. Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders, 47, 57-62.
- Brinton, B., Fujiki, M., Winkler, E. & Loeb, D. (1986). Responses to
requests for clarification in linguistically normal and language-impaired
children. Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders, 51, 370-378.
- Brook, S.L. & Bowler, D.M. (1992). Autism by another name? Semantic
and pragmatic impairments in children. Journal of Autism and
Developmental Disorders, 22 (1) , 61-81.
- Conti-Ramsden, G. & Gunn, M. (1986). The development of conversational
disability: a case study. British Journal of Disorders of
Communication, 21 (3) , 339-351.
- Craig, H. & Evans, J. (1989). Turn exchange characteristics of SLI
children's simultaneous and nonsimultaneous speech. Journal of Speech and
Hearing Disorders, 54, 334-47.
- Fey, M.E. & Leonard, L.B. (1983). Pragmatic skills of children with
specific language impairment. In T.M. Gallagher & C.A. Prutting (Eds.),
Pragmatic assessment and intervention issues in language (pp. 65-82).
San Diego: College-Hill.
- Fujiki, M. & Brinton, B. (1991). The verbal noncommunicator: A case
study. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 22 (1),
- Gallagher, T. & Darnton, B. (1978). Conversational aspects of the
speech of language-disordered children: Revision behaviors. Journal of
Speech and Hearing Research, 21, 118-135.
- Greenlee, M. (1981). Learning to tell the forest from the trees:
Unravelling discourse features of a psychotic child. First Language,
- McTear, M. (1985a). Pragmatic disorders: a question of direction.
British Journal of Disorders of Communication, 20, 119-127.
- McTear, M. (1985b). Pragmatic Disorders: a case study of
conversational disability. British Journal of Disorders of
- Prutting, C.A. & Kirchner, D.M. (1987). A clinical appraisal of
the pragmatic aspects of language. Journal of Speech and Hearing
- Rapin, I. & Allen, D.A. (1983). Developmental language disorders:
Nosologic considerations. In U. Kirk (Ed.), Neuropsychology of language,
reading, and spelling (pp. 155-184). New York: Academic.
- Brennan, S. (1999) Co-construing the world: topic management in the
conversations of children with emotional and language difficulties. Journal
of Clinical Speech and Language Studies, 9. 35-56.,
- Collins, S, Markova, I & Murphy, J: (1997) Bringing conversations to a
close: the management of closings in interactions between AAC users and
'natural' speakers. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics. 11, 6. 467-494
- Corrin, J., Tarplee, C. & Wells, B. (forthcoming). Interactional
linguistics and language development: a conversation analytic perspective
on emergent syntax To appear in Couper-Kuhlen, E. & Selting, M. Studies in
Interactional Linguistics (Benjamins)
- Dobbinson, S., Perkins, M. R., & Boucher, J. (1998). Structural patterns in
conversations with a woman who has autism. Journal of Communication
Disorders, 31, 113-134
- Gardner, H. (1994) Doing talk about speech: a study of speech/language
therapists and phonologically disordered children working together.
Unpublished DPhil thesis, University of York.
- Kendrick, H. (1994) A study of conversations between two dysfluent twins
and their parents using conversation analysis. Unpublished MSc project,
Department of Human Communication Science, UCL.
- Laughland, J.(1998) Overlapping talk in young children's conversation with
their primary caregivers . Unpublished MSc project, Department of Human
Communication Science, UCL.
- Local, J & Wootton, T. (1995) Interactional and phonetic aspects of
immediate echolalia in autism: a case study. Clinical Linguistics &
Phonetics 9, 155-184.
- Mahon, M. (1995) An analysis of question-answer sequences in three
adult-child conversations, one of which is with a deaf child. Work in
Progress Vol 5. Department of Human Communication Sciences, UCL.
- Mahon, M. (1997) Conversation analysis of language of hearing-impaired
children for whom English is the second language. Unpublished PhD thesis,
Department of Human Communication Science, UCL.
- Murray, Sarah (1995). : Conversation and psycholinguistic analyses of
developmental communication disorders: a case study. Unpublished MSc
project, Department of Human Communication Science, UCL.
- Marlaire, C.L. & Maynard D.W. (1990) Standardised testing as an
interactional phenomenon. Sociology of Education 63, 83-101
(available in photocopy collection)
- Radford, J & Tarplee, C. (in press) The management of conversational topic
by a 10-year old child with pragmatic difficulties. Clinical Linguistics &
- Tarplee, C. & Barrow, E.(1999) Delayed echoing as an interactional
resource: a case study of a 3-year-old child on the autistic spectrum.
Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics 13, 6. 449-482
- Tarplee, C. (1993) Working on talk: the collaborative shaping of linguistic
skills within child-adult interaction. Unpublished DPhil thesis, University
- Tarplee, C. (1996) Working on young children's utterances: prosodic
aspects of repetition during picture labelling. In Couper-Kuhlen, E. &
Selting, M. (eds) Prosody in Conversation: Interactional studies.
Cambridge University Press,
- Wells, B. & Local. J. (1993) The sense of an ending: a case of prosodic
delay. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics 6,4.59-73
- Wootton, A. (1989) Speech to and from a severely retarded young Down's
syndrome child. In: Beveridge, M., Conti-Ramsden, G & Leudar I: Language
and Communication in Mentally Handicapped People. 157-184. Chapman Hall.
- Wootton, A. (1990) Pointing and interaction initiation: the behaviour of
young children with Down's syndrome. Journal of Child Language 17,
- Wootton, A. (1994) Object transfer, intersubjectivity and third position
repair: early developmental observations of one child. Journal of Child
Language 21, 543-564.
- Wootton, A. (1997) Interaction and the Development of Mind.
- Wootton, A. (1999) An investigation of delayed echoing in a child with
autism. First Language. 19, 3, No. 57
- Susan Hoyle and Carolyn Temple Adger,(Eds.)(1998) Kids Talk: Strategic
Language Use in Later Childhood, Oxford University Press
Dipartimento di psicologia dei processi di sviluppo e socializzazione
Facolt di Psicologia
Universit di Roma "La Sapienza"
Tel. 06. 49917673