Laura Miller's Articles on Japanese
Languages in Contact
Miller, L. 1997 "Wasei eigo: English ‘loanwords' coined in Japan." In
The Life of Language: Papers in Linguistics in Honor of William Bright,
edited by Jane Hill, P.J. Mistry and Lyle Campbell, Mouton/De Gruyter:
The Hague, pp. 123-139.
- Cross Cultural Communication
Miller, L. 2000 "Negative assessments in Japanese-American workplace
interaction." In Culturally Speaking: Managing Rapport Through Talk
Across Cultures, edited by Helen Spencer-Oatey. London: Continuum Press,
- Miller, L. 1995 "Two aspects of Japanese and American co-worker
interaction: Giving instruction and creating rapport." Journal of
Applied Behavioral Sciences, Vol. 31, No.2, pp.141-161.
- Miller, L. 1994 "Japanese and American meetings and what goes on before
them." Pragmatics Vol.4, No.2, pp.221-238.
- Miller, L. 1991 "Verbal listening behavior in conversations between
Japanese and Americans." In The Pragmatics of Intercultural and
International Communication, edited by Jan Blommaert and Jef
Verschueren, John Benjamins, Amsterdam, pp. 110-130.
- Miller, L. 1991 "Consequences of Japanese and American business
conversation." Intercultural Communication Studies, Vol I, No.1,
Language and Identity
Miller, L. 1995 "Crossing ethnolinguistic boundaries: A preliminary
look at the gaijin tarento in Japan." In Asian Popular Culture, edited
by John Lent, Westview Press, New York, pp.162-173.
- Miller, L. 1994 "Giving good listening: Interaction and identity in
Japan's bicultural workplace." The World & I Vol.9, No. 12, pp.