Journals of interest to Linguists/Linganthropologists
This list was originally suggested by Leila Monaghan (to LingAnth
6/7/95), now with additions from other sources, suggested by Scott
Kiesling, Jim Wilce, Gary Palmer, and Celso Alvarez-Caccamo whose own very
complete page of appropriate journals can be accessed from here by
clicking here or by going
to the page at: http://www.udc.es/dep/lx/rev.htm
email@example.com last modified 5/29/98,
- American Anthropologist: American Anthropological
Association. Four-field anthropology journal.
- American Ethnologist: American Anthropological Association.
Cultural and social anthropology, linguistic perspective accepatable.
- Anthropological Linguistics, Exploring the Languages of the
World: Anthropology Department, Indiana University, Rawles Hall 108,
Bloomington, IN 47405, USA. Varied linguistic/sociolinguistic/anthropological
- Anthropology & Education Quarterly: Published by the
American Anthropological Association. Interested in education from a broad
variety of perspectives, including linguistic perspectives. Have a lot of
classroom stuff, but are also interested in general socialization issues,
particularly international stuff. Most papers are fairly data based.
- Anthropology Newsletter: American Anthropological
Association. General articles of interest to the profession. Newspaper length
- Anthropology Newsletter, Society for Linguistic Anthropology Column:
Short factual and opinion pieces about the nature of linguistic anthropology
(NIKO: Where should people send things?)
- Anthropology UCLA: Dept of Anthro, 341 Haines Hall, 405
Hilgard Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1553. Anthro department four-field
journal that sometimes accepts outside pieces. 50/50% Theme/singles issues.
- Annual Review of Anthropology
- Annual Review of Applied Linguistics
- Australian Journal of Linguistics often
has stuff about Australian and Austronesian languages of interest to
linganthers. Contact Peter Collins, Lx Dept., School of Modern langs, U.
of new South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052 Australia.
- Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, an international
peer-reviewed journal to be launched by Cambridge University Press, has
been specifically designed to fulfil this role. The first issue will be
published in early 1998, and the journal will be published three times a
year. For further information on Bilingualism, please contact
Cambridge University Press: tel. +44 (0)1223 325804; email:
- Cognitive Linguistics
- Discourse and Society
- Discourse Processes, A Multidisciplinary Journal: Published
by Ablex Corporation, 355 Chestnut Street, Norwood, NJ 07648, USA. They are
interested in issues like language variation. Have articles like
"Integrations of Semantic and Structural Constrainsts in Narrative
Comprehension," "A Case Study in Language Socialization: Korean WH-Questions"
and "Speech Economy and Social Selection in Educational Contexts: A Franco-
Ontarian Case Study". People on the board include linguists and conversation
analysts. Probably prefer pieces with some transcripts.
- Ethos: The Journal of the Society for Psychological Anthropology
(taking a linguistic turn under the current editors)
- International Journal of the Sociology of Language,
International Sociolinguistic Perspectives: Mouton. Tend to have issue
editors with topic topics like "Sociolinguistics in Japan" "Language and Work"
and "Face to Face Interaction."
- Journal of American Folklore
- (Journal of Human Movement?)(Indiania/Iowa?) Brenda Farnell
who did work on American Indian Plains is associated with this.
- Journal of Linguistic Anthropology: American
Anthropological Association. Linguistic Anthropology.
- Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development:
Multilingual Matters, Bank House, 8a Hill Road, Clevedon, Avon BS21 7HH, UK.
"Code-switching and Bilingual Schooling: An Examination of Jacobson's New
Concurrent Approach" "Mother Tongue Maintenance in Lebanese Immigrant Families
- Journal of Pragmatics, An interdisciplinary Bi-monthly of
Language Studies: Published by Elsevier Science Publishers BV (North-Holland).
Topics vary widely. "On correlations between word order and pragmatic
function of conditional sentences in German" "Translation in bilingual
conversation: Pragmatic aspects of translatory interaction" "Defendants
interpretations of encouragements in court" "History and language: Towards a
social account of linguistic change"
- Journal of Sociolinguistics (Blackwell).
- Language, Journal of the Linguistic Society of America: LSA
at Waverly Press, Baltimore MD 21202, Straight linguistics to
- Language Variation and Change, which sometimes approaches
- Journal of Semantics [Dr. Peter Bosch, Lerchenstr. 76, D-
60176 Stuttgart, Germany; email: firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Language and Cognitive Processes
- Language in Society: Cambridge University Press. William
Bright, editor. , 1625 Mariposa Ave.,
Boulder, CO 80302; Phone: (303) 444-4274, Fax: (303) 413-0017.
- Language, Power, and Social Process, a new series from
Mouton de Gruyter ``aims at
contributing to the development of new approaches in the sociolinguistic
and linguistic anthropological study of social issues and social
problems. Themes to be addressed: The series will contain critical
language and power in social processes and will highlight substantive,
theoretical and methodological dimensions of sociolinguistic
research.The series will include monographs as well as edited volumes."
- Linguistic Typology
- Linguistics: an interdisciplinary journal of the language
sciences. Mouton de Gruyer. Linguistics including pragmatics, semantics,
morphology, phonology, experimental phonetics, psycholinguistics and
- Metaphor and Symbolic Activity
- Mind and Language
- Multilingua, Journal of Cross-Cultural and Interlanguage
Communication: Mouton de Gruyer. "The treatment of language and linguistic
issues in the current English-language international management literature"
"Topic selection in phatic communication" "Soviet and American expression of
personal involvement," "Women's graffitti"
- Pragmatics and Beyond
- Pragmatics and Cognition
(Marcelo Dascal, Ed. John Benjamins Pub. Co.)
(Antwerp-- IPrA's journal)
- Research on Language and Social Interaction, a quarterly
interdisciplinary journal, reports original research about language and social
interaction issues. The journal welcomes manuscripts about (a) components or
features of language or other social code s that are consequential for social
interaction; (b) the structure, dynamics, or functions of kinds of social
interaction; and (c) how language and social interaction practices relate.
ROLSI seeks to give voice to scholarly work in communication, linguistics,
sociology, psychology, and related disciplines studying talk in interaction;
language and discourse strategies; relationships between speech communities
and their language- or interaction-related behaviors, values, and beliefs; and
the practices and constraints of social interaction in casual or
institutional settings, as well as interactions mediated by computer and other
new technologies. For more information prospective authors may contact Karen
Tracy by email (Karen.Tracy@Colorado.edu) or telephone (303 492-8461).
- Studies in Second Language Acquisition: Cambridge University
- Text, an interdisciplinary journal for the study of
discourse: Mouton De Gruyter, Berlin, New York. "Telling age in later life:
Identity and face implications" "Forms and footing in boys' sportscasting" "On
conversational involvement by mail: The use of questions in direct sales
letters" "Textuality and human reasoning"
- Visual Communication: Annenberg School Press, Annenberg
School of Communication: 3620 Walnut St, Philadelphia, PA 19104-3858 (U of
Pennsylvania). "Life vs. Art: The Interpretation of Visual
Narratives" "Francis L. Cooper, Spruce Hill Photographer" "An Interpration of
"Man with the Movie Camera," "Imitation White Man: Images of Transformation at
the Carlisle Indian School." These guys like pictures a lot.