Students' Responsibilities in this Class
Because it often happens that the requirements of this class, and the
student's responsibility for meeting these requirements is often not
clearly understood, this page states those responsibilities as clearly as
I know how.
- Students are responsible for reading every document on this
Website (LING 057). All documents on the class website are required
- Students are responsible for meeting the deadlines for
writing assignments, all of which are clearly posted on this website.
Work that is handed in late will not receive a good grade.
- A good grade in this course is not an ENTITLEMENT Grades
will be earned according to how they meet the requirements of the
- Instructor will not spoon feed material. This means
Instructor will not beg, cajole, remind, wheedle, or entreat students to
do the work on time and/or according to stated requirements.
- Students are expected to participate
actively in class
discussions of the material. Examples of non-participation or
inadequate class participation are:
- Frequent Absenteeism from class.
- Arriving late for class
- Leaving early without prior arrangements being made;
- Reading other things during class
- Sleeping during class...
- Doing homework for other classes
- Doing cross-word puzzles
- Passing notes to or visiting with fellow students during class.
Class participation will count for
OF THE GRADE
in this class. Lack of participation (see above definition) will mean a
lower grade (e.g. a B- instead of a B+), even if written
assignments are excellent.
If any part of this document is not clear, please make an appointment with
me to discuss it.