W.D.E. COULSON and TONI M. CROSS AEGEAN EXCHANGE PROGRAM 2021
[Announcement .pdf] [Türkçe]
THE FELLOWSHIPS: The American Research Institute in Turkey (ARIT) - Ankara Representative Office (Ankara Temsilciliği) is pleased to announcethat the W.D.E. Coulson & Toni Cross Aegean Exchange Program is now open for applications. These short-term fellowships are for Turkish Ph.D. level graduate students and senior scholars in any field of the humanities and social sciences from pre-historic to modern times to conduct research in Greece, under the auspices of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens (ASCSA). The purpose of these fellowships is to provide an opportunity for Turkish scholars to meet with their Greek colleagues, and to pursue research interests in the museum, archive, and library collections and at the sites and monuments of Greece. This fellowship program is funded through the Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC), which also provides funding for Greek Ph.D. level graduate students and senior scholars to study in Turkey.
- Candidates must be Turkish citizens and must have their primary academic affiliation with a University or Turkish institution in Turkey.
- Candidates must have completed their Ph.D. coursework and passed all qualifying examinations for the degree before entering the tenure of the fellowship, or must have received their Ph.D. before entering the tenure of the fellowship.
- Projects of duration of at least one month are preferred. Candidates should complete their research in Greece in 2021.
- Research during tenure of the fellowship must be conducted in Greece.
- The project must require research that can only be conducted in Greece, such as study of monuments in Greece, or artifacts in Greek museums, collections and libraries.
- The Candidates should specify the institutions that they will need to consult in order to complete their research, such as the American School of Classical Studies at Athens (ASCSA). If necessary, the candidates should also acquire any letters of permission from institutions or Greek authorities that may be required for the completion of their research in Greece.
- Candidates, who were awarded this fellowship in the past can apply again on the condition that they have received this fellowship within a minimum of five years prior to date of the application.
AWARDS: The maximum award will not exceed $7,500 (USD). The Selection Committee for the grants will be appointed by ARIT’s representative offices in Istanbul and Ankara.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: A complete application for a grant will consist of the following:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae.
- A statement of purpose of a maximum of five pages in English or Turkish, which should include:
a) a title of the project in English and Turkish,
b) a summary of the project (not to exceed three pages),
c) why this research needs to be done in Greece,
d) how the candidate will conduct research while in Greece (such as the institutions or museums the candidate will consult), and
e) how the candidate’s research will contribute to scholarship in his or her field.
- A brief itemized budget of the projected expenses of your research in Greece and a preliminary schedule.
- Full address, telephone number, and email contact information.
- A photocopy of ID card.
- List of publications (if applicable).
- Demonstration of proficiency in the language or languages necessary for conducting the research in Greece. Candidates should include in their applications whether they have traveled to Greece for research purposes before.
- At least two letters of recommendation. The name and contact information of the referee should be included with the candidate’s application. The referees should send their letters directly to the ARIT-Ankara postal address. The letter should include an assessment of the project and a determination whether the candidate has enough knowledge and capability to successfully complete the project.
A digital copy of the applications (except for the recommendation letters) should arrive at the ARIT-Ankara address below no later than Friday, November 27, 2020:
Şehit Ersan Cad. 24/9
Tel: (312) 427-2222
Fax: (312) 427-4979
NOTIFICATION: The decisions of the Selection Committee will be made within approximately one to one and a half months after the deadline of the application.