"Gregory of Nazianzus on the Bishop:
Imagining an Ideal — Orations 1-3, 6, and 42+ 43"
Susanna Elm, University of California, Berkeley
THE SIXTH MEETING OF 1998-99 will be held on Thursday, April 22nd from 7-9
pm in the Lounge on the second floor of
Logan Hall at the University of
Pennsylvania. Persons wishing to dine with other participants prior to
the meeting should meet at 6 pm at
Logan Hall (southeast of Locust Walk
and 36th Street Walk). Take-out food (vegetarian and non-vegetarian) will
be provided. Cost is $7 per person.
Please RSVP to either chairperson (adresses above), if possible, so that
we might have a rough idea of how much food to arrange.
- S. Elm, Virgins of God, Oxford, 1994. Part I: Asia Minor.
- M. Gleason, Making Men, Princeton, 1994.
- Gregorian orations 1-3, 6 and 42+43.
- J.F. Matthews, Western Aristocracies and Imperial Court, Oxford, 1975.
- R. Van Dam, "Self-Representation in the Will of Gregory of Nazianzus,"
JThS n.s. 46 1995, 118-148.
Also recall suggested readings from Vasiliki Limberis, in the opening
session of PSCO 36:
- Benoit Bain, "L'eglise de Cappadoce au IVe siecle d'apres la
correspondance de Basile de Cesaree,"
Orientalia Christian Analecta 225 (1985).
- Thomas Kopecek,"The Cappadocian Fathers and Civic Patriotism" Church
History 43 (1974), 293-303.
- Philip Rousseau, Basil of Caesarea University of California Press, 1994.
- Raymond Van Dam, "Emperor, Bishops, and Friends in Late Antique
Cappadocia," JTS 37(1986) 53-76.