“Annette Reeds’ Fallen Angels:
A Conference in Honor of Annette Yoshiko Reed”
As many may already be aware, Professor Annette Yoshiko Reed will be
leaving Penn’s Religious Studies Department to join the faculty at New
York University this coming Fall.
Her graduate students are organizing a small farewell conference on
April 26 (4:00–8:30 PM, in room 402 of Cohen Hall on the Penn campus) in
light of her immense service to the Penn community, which includes
serving as a faculty member in the Religious Studies and Ancient History
graduate groups, the Director of the Center for Ancient Studies, and a
Faculty Director of Fisher Hassenfeld College House. This conference
will feature presentations by Jillian Stinchcomb, Matthew Chalmers, Jae
Hee Han, Alex Ramos, and Phillip Webster. It will be moderated by Prof.
David Stern. The conference will be followed by a vegetarian
If you would like to attend, please
by April 21.
This event is co-sponsored by the Department of Religious Studies, the
Jewish Studies Program, the Center for Ancient Studies, and the Philadelphia
Seminar on Christian Origins.
PDF Flyer available
- Jill Stinchcomb: “The Hairy Legged Queen of Sheba”
- Matt Chalmers: “Parting Ways? Never! Fourth-Century Christians and their Samaritan Others”
- Jae Han: “The Birth of Manichaeism from the Spirit of Jewish-Christian Elchasaite Baptists”
- Alex Ramos: “Josephus, ‘the Galileans’ and the Question of Urban–Rural Conflict”
- Phil Webster: “Anatomy and Empire: Man, Manliness, and a Box of Genitals”