Robert A. Kraft, Résumé
Table of Contents
Robert A. Kraft, Berg Professor of Religious Studies Emeritus
Department of Religious Studies
School of Arts and Sciences
The University of Pennsylvania
201 Logan Hall
Philadelphia PA 19104-6304
Phone: (215) 898-5827
- 1959-61 Harvard University, Teaching Fellow
- 1961-63 University of Manchester, England, Asst. Lecturer
- University of Pennsylvania, Dept. of Religious Studies:
1963-68 Assistant Professor of Religious Thought
1968-76 Associate Professor of Religious Thought
1976-2003 Professor of Religious Studies (Berg
2003- Emeritus Professor of Religious Studies
- 1965-66 Lutheran Theol. Sem., Philadelphia, Visiting Lecturer
- B.A. (summa cum laude), Philosophy, Wheaton College (IL), 1955
- M.A., Biblical Literature: New Testament, Wheaton Graduate
School (IL), 1957
- Ph.D., History and Philosophy of Religion, Christian Origins,
Harvard University, 1961
- Society of Biblical Literature
- Studiorum Novi Testament Societas
- Philadelphia Seminar on Christian Origins
- International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies
- American Society of Papyrologists
- Association for Computing in the Humanities (no longer active)
- Association for Literacy and Linguistic Computing (no longer
Research and Expertise
My research interests include (see also course
I have also attempted to maintain knowledge of the applications of
computer technology to research in such fields.
- the history and literatures of Judaism in the Greco-Roman
Period, with special attention to the "Septuagint" and Old Greek
(LXX/OG) translations and textual histories
- the collections called apocrypha and pseudepigrapha
- Philo of Alexandria and his world
- Josephus of Jerusalem (and Rome)
- the "Dead Sea Scrolls"
- the history and literatures of Christianity before Constantine
with special attention to heterodox Christian varieties
- second century (ce) Jewish and Christian literature
- use of Jewish sources and Jewish traditions in early
- Paul and his influence
- Jesus traditions
- manuscripts and written remains from antiquity (papyrology,
scrollology & codicology,
- ancient and late antique coinage (numismatics)
Other Professional Activities
- Society of Biblical Literature [SBL] 1956-
Secretary, Mid-Atlantic Section 1965-69
Journal of Biblical Literature New Testament Book Review Editor
pro-tem. 1965/66, 1970
Monograph Series Editor 1967-72
Steering Committee, Pseudepigrapha Group 1969-
Texts & Translations: Pseudepigrapha Series Editor 1973-78
Delegate to Council for the Study of Religion 1976-78
Computer Assisted Research Group Committee1980- (chr 84-88)
SBL President 2006
- Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas [SNTS] 1963-
Acting chair, Septuagint Seminar 1971
Editorial Board 1973-76
- Philadelphia Seminar on Christian Origins [PSCO], co-founder and
- International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies
[IOSCS], exec. committee 1969-
- IOSCS/SBL Septuagint Tools Project, co-director 1976-
- Revised Standard Version [RSV] and New Revised Standard Version
[NRSV] Bible Translation Commission(s) 1972-
- American Society of Papyrologists [ASP] 1976[?]-
- Ancient Biblical Manuscript Center [ABMC] for Preservation and
Research (Claremont), board of advisors 1978-
- Association for Computing in the Humanities [ACH] 19??-?
- IOUDAIOS Electronic List Advisory Board 1990-
- Dead Sea Scrolls Foundation Advisory Board 1991-
Bibliography Including Selections from
the Larger List of
Publications in Electronic Form (which see also)
INDEX ORGANIZED BY TOPIC
PUBLICATIONS: THESES, BOOKS, ARTICLES (Chronological Order)
PUBLICATIONS: MAJOR BOOK REVIEWS
of Jesus to a Modern Discussion of Inspiration.
Unpublished MA Thesis, Wheaton College Graduate School, 1957
Isaiah Text and the 'Testimony Book' Hypothesis."
Journal of Biblical Literature 79 (1960) 336-350 [JSTOR-SBL]
- "Oxyrhynchus Papyrus 655 Reconsidered." Harvard Theological
Review 54 (1961) 253-262 [JSTOR-Cambridge]
- The Epistle of Barnabas: Its Quotations and Their Sources.
Unpublished PhD Dissertation, Harvard University, 1961.
Brief summary published in Harv. Theol. Rev. 54 (1961) 300. [Electronic
version in process.]
- "Barnabas' Isaiah Text and
Melito's Paschal Homily." Journal of
Biblical Literature 80 (1961) 371-373 [JSTOR-SBL]
Note on the Oracle of Rebecca (Gen 25.23)." Journal of
Theological Studies 13 (1962) 318-320
Notes on Sabbath Observance in Early Christianity." Andrews
University Seminar Studies 3 (1965) 18-33
and the Didache = vol. 3 of The Apostolic Fathers: A New
Translation and Commentary, ed. by Robert M. Grant. New York: Nelson
& Sons, 1965 [English trans. republished as pp. 268-301 and 308-319
in The Apostolic Fathers, ed. J.N. Sparks. New York: Nelson, 1978].
Sections in electronic form are available also.
- "An Unnoticed Papyrus
Fragment of Barnabas." Vigiliae
Christianae 21 (1967) 150-163 [JSTOR-Brill]
Uncatalogued Papyri of Theological and Other Interest in the John
Rylands Library" (co-authored with Ms Antonia Tripolitis). Bulletin
of the John Rylands Library 51 (1968/69) 137-163
- "Jewish Greek Scriptures and Related Topics: Reports on Recent
Discussions," New Testament Studies 16 (1969/70) 384-396, and
- "Judaism on the World
Scene" = pp. 81-98 in The Catacombs and the
Colosseum, ed. S. Benko and J. J. O'Rourke. Valley Forge: Judson,
- L'Ã‰pÃ®tre de BarnabÃ© (Greek text
with introduction by RAK; French
translation and commentary by P. Prigent). Sources Chretiennes 172.
Paris: Cerf, 1971.
Reception of the Book" = pp. 286-316 (Appendix 2) of the
English edition of
W. Bauer's Orthodoxy and Heresy in Early Christianity (German ed.
G. Strecker, 1964), ed. by RAK and G. Krodel. Philadelphia: Fortress,
- "Paraleipomena Jeremiou: An English Translation" (with Ann-
Elizabeth Purintun) = pp. 327-346 in Seminar Papers of the Society of
Biblical Literature for 1971, vol. 2. SBL, 1971 [online Introduction, English, Greek].
Search of 'Jewish Christianity' and its 'Theology': Problems of
Definition and Methodology." Recherches de Sciences Religieuse 60
(Festschrift for J. Danielou on Judeo-Christianisme 1, 1972) 81-92
- The following portions of Septuagintal Lexicography, ed. RAK.
Septuagint and Cognate Studies 1. Missoula, Montana: Scholars Press for
the Society of Biblical Literature, 1972
- "Section 1: Introduction" (pp. 5-7)
- "Section 2: Introduction and Reactions" (pp. 15-19)
- "The Eisenbeis Experiment and Proposals" (pp. 25-29)
- "Approaches to Translation Greek Lexicography" (30-39)
- "Section 3: Introduction and Reactions" (46-51)
- "Notes and 'Probes' by RAK" (153-178)
- "Eis Nikos = Permanently/Successfully: 1 Cor 15.54, Matt 12.21"
- "Greek Renderings of Hebrew Interjections Expressing Despair/Delight, Wish/Petition, Rebuke, and the Like"
- "Servant Terminology: Sample Entry for QERAPWN
- Paraleipomena Jeremiou,
ed. RAK and A. E. Purintun. Texts and
Translations 1: Pseudepigrapha Series 1. Missoula, Montana: Scholars
Press for Society of Biblical Literature, 1972 [online Introduction, English, Greek]
- "Scholarly Publishing" = ch. 5 (pp. 45-82) in the Council for
the Study of Religion Task Force on Scholarly Publication Report, ed.
G. W. MacRae. Waterloo, Ontario: CSR, 1972
- Testament of Job, ed. RAK. Texts and Translations 5:
Pseudepigrapha Series 3. Missoula, Montana: Scholars Press for the
Society of Biblical Literature, 1974
- "A Note on Paleography and its Perils: The Date of the Old Latin
MS 'ff' (=66) of the Epistle of James et al." = pp. 273-277 in Studia
Codicologica (Festschrift for M. Richard), ed. F. Paschke et al. Texte
und Untersuchungen 124. Berlin: Akademie Verlag, 1977
- "The Multiform Jewish
Heritage of Early Christianity." pp. 174-199
of Christianity, Judaism and Other Greco-Roman Cults 3 (Studies for
Morton Smith), ed. J. Neusner. Leiden: Brill, 1975.
Development of the Concept of 'Orthodoxy' in Early Christianity."
= pp. 47-59 in Current Issues in Biblical and Patristic Interpretation
(Studies in Honor of M. C. Tenney), ed. G. Hawthorne. Grand Rapids:
- "A Sahidic Parchment
Fragment of Acts 27.4-13 at the University
Museum, Philadelphia (E 16690 Coptic 1)." Journal of Biblical
Literature 94 (l975) 256-265 [JSTOR-SBL]
Unpublished Coptic/Sahidic Psalter Codex at the University Museum
in Philadelphia: a Preliminary Report." = pp. 81-89 in Biblical and
Armenian Studies, ed. M. E. Stone. Jerusalem: St. James Press, 1976
- The following articles in The Interpreter's Dictionary of the
Bible Supplementary Volume. Nashville: Abingdon, 1976.
the 'Recensional Problem' in Testament of Abraham." =
pp. 121-137 in Studies on the Testament of Abraham, ed. G. Nickelsburg.
Septuagint and Cognate Studies 6. Missoula, Montana: Scholars Press,
Transmission of Greek Jewish Scriptures: a Methodological
Probe." = pp. 207-226 in Paganisme, Judaisme, Christianisme:
Influences et affrontements dans le Monde Antique (Melanges M. Simon),
ed. A. Benoit et al. Paris: De Boccard, 1978
- "Philo (Josephus, Sirach and Wisdom of Solomon) on Enoch." = pp.
253-257 in Society of Biblical Literature 1978 Seminar Papers I, ed. P.
J. Achtemeier. Missoula, Mont.: Scholars Press, 1978
- "'Ezra' Materials in Judaism
and Christianity." = pp. 119-136 in
Aufstieg und Niedergang der romischen Welt: Geschichte und Kultur Roms
im Spiegel der neueren Forschung II.19.1, ed. W. Haase and H.
Temporini. Berlin: de Gruyter, 1979
- "P.Oxy. VI 846 (Amos 2, Old Greek) Reconsidered." Bulletin of
the American Society of Papyrologists 16 (1979) 20l-204
- "Robert Franklin Evans: Scholar,
Teacher and University
Citizen--An Appreciation" (with V. A. Harvey). = pp. 1-29 and 187
(poem) in Disciplina Nostra: Essays in Memory of Robert F. Evans, ed.
D. F. Winslow. Patristic Monograph Series 6. Cambridge, Mass.:
Philadelphia Patristics Foundation, 1979
- "Philo on Seth." = pp. 457-458 in The Rediscovery of Gnosticism
2: Sethian Gnosticism, ed. B. Layton. Supplements to Numen 41. Leiden:
- "Computer Assisted Tools for Septuagint Studies" (with Emanuel
Tov). Bulletin of the International Organization for Septuagint and
Cognate Studies 14 (1981) 22-40
- "In Quest of Computer Literacy." Bulletin of the Council for the
Study of Religion 15.2 (April 1984) 41-45
Computer Assisted Research for Religious Studies," Nos.
1-5 in the Bulletin of the Council for the Study of Religion 15.3,
15.4, 15.5, 16.1, 16.2 (1984-85); Nos. 6-44 in Religious Studies News
1.2 (3/1986) to 9.1 (2/1994); Nos. 16-44 also in the Council of
Societies for the Study of Religion Bulletin 17.1 (1988) to 22.2
(1994); also was published electronically on the List Server of the
discussion groups Humanist, Religion, and others (see now the SBL WWW
- The following portions of Computer Assisted Tools for Septuagint
Studies I: Ruth (ed. with Emanuel Tov). Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1986.
Assessing the Latin Text of '5 Ezra': The Christian
Connection." Pp. 158-69 in CHRISTIANS AMONG JEWS AND GENTILES:
Essays in Honor of Krister Stendahl on his Sixty-fifth Birthday. Ed.
George W. E. Nickelsburg with George W. MacRae. Philadelphia: Fortress,
- Volume co-editor and co-contributor of the following portions of
Early Judaism and its Modern Interpreters (ed. with G. W.
Nickelsburg). Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1986.
- Contributed the following short Notes in Les Actes de la 2ime
Conference de l'AIBI. Bible et Informatique: methodes, outils,
resultats [Jerusalem, 9-13 Juin 1988]. Geneva: Slatkine, 1989.
- "Computer Assisted Identification and Reconstruction of
Fragmentary Manuscripts (Papyri, Leather, Paper): Chester Beatty Greek
Papyrus 5 (Genesis) = Rahlfs 962." Pp. 319-321.
- "Creating and Using a CD-ROM (Laser Disk) Data Bank for
Biblical and Other Textual Studies." Pp. 322-324.
Scriptural Citations in Origen's Homily on Jeremiah 2.21-22
(electronic publication, August 1989).
- Contributed Section on "Description of the Materials" (pp.
14-19) and Collaborated with Emanuel Tov in production of THE GREEK
MINOR PROPHETS SCROLL FROM NAHAL HEVER (8HevXIIgr). Oxford: Clarendon,
1990. [Awarded Abraham Shkop Prize, Heb U.]
- Contributed the following Report (with Appendices) in Computers
in Literary and Linguistic Research * Literary and Linguistic Computing
1988 (Proceedings of the 15th International Conference, Jerusalem, 5-9
June 1988), ed Yaacov Choueka. Paris - Geneva: Champion - Slatkine,
- "Coding Dilemmas in Collecting and Reformatting Textual
Materials for CD-ROM Distribution." Pp. 233-245.
and the Sabbath Crisis: Alexandrian Jewish Politics and the
Dating of Philo's Works." Pp. 131-41 in THE FUTURE OF EARLY
CHRISTIANITY: ESSAYS IN HONOR OF HELMUT KOESTER. Ed. Birger A. Pearson
et al. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1991.
Julius Alexander and the Crisis in Alexandria according to
Josephus." Pp. 175-84 in OF SCRIBES AND SCROLLS: STUDIES ON THE
HEBREW BIBLE, INTERTESTAMENTAL JUDAISM, AND CHRISTIAN ORIGINS;
presented to John Strugnell on the occasion of his sixtieth birthday.
Ed. Harold W. Attridge et al. College Theological Society Resources in
Religion 5; New York: University Press of America, 1991.
- Contributor to the chapter on "Biblical Studies," pp. 18-31 in
THE HUMANITIES COMPUTING YEARBOOK 1989-90, ed. Ian Lancashire. Oxford:
- "A(LI/SKW (A(LI/SKOMAI) in Greek Jewish
Scriptures: Profile of a Difficult Greek Verb" (with Theodore A.
Bergren), Bulletin of the John Rylands University Library of Manchester
74 (1992) 54-66.
There a 'Messiah-Joshua' Tradition at the Turn of the Era?" =
RKMESSIA ARTICLE on the IOUDAIOS Electronic Discussion Group Listserver
(10 June 1992).
- "Philo's Text of Genesis 2.18 ("I will make a helper")" [version
2.0], on the IOUDAIOS Electronic Discussion Group (10 June 1993;
original version 20 May 1993).
and Written Authorities in Testaments of the 12 Patriarchs
[electronic publication, for SBL 1993 Pseudepigrapha Symposium,
- "The Pseudepigrapha in Christianity." Print version in TRACING
THE THREADS: STUDIES IN THE VITALITY OF JEWISH PSEUDEPIGRAPHA, ed. John
C. Reeves (SBL Early Judaism and its Literature 6; Atlanta: Scholars,
Updated version on ccat.sas.upenn.edu gopher (Electronic
Publications: Kraft) [Originally delivered orally to the 1976 annual
meeting of the Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas at Duke University;
subsequently released electronically on IOUDAIOS, 199?]
- "Jerome's Translation of Origen's Homily on Jeremiah 2.21-22
(Greek Homily 2; Latin 13)" (with Theodore Bergren and Benjamin
Wright), Revue Be/ne/dictine 104 (1994) 260-283.
- "The Use of Computers in New Testament Textual Criticism," pp.
268-282 in The Text of the NT in Contemporary Research, ed. Bart Ehrman
and Michael Holmes (Metzger Festschrift). Studies and Documents 46.
Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1995. [See also the
electronic longer draft.]
- "Scripture and Canon in Jewish Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha,"
pp. 199-216 in Hebrew Bible / Old Testament: The History of its
Interpretation, I: From the Beginnings to the Middle Ages (Until 1300),
1: Antiquity, ed. Magne Saebo
[see table of contents] . Goettingen: Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht,
Expanded original form also available electronically.]
Treatment of the Number Seven in On Creation"
for the SBL Philo Group, November 1996 (New Orleans).
- "Introductory Essay" (with Emanuel Tov) for A Concordance to the
Septuagint and the Other Greek Versions of the Old Testament (Including
the Apocryphal Books), second [expanded] edition. Grand Rapids MI:
Baker Books, 1998. Pp. xi-xix. [an electronic
draft is available].
- "The DSS and the Apostolic Fathers, with some Observations on
Other Early Christian Literature apart from the NT" (with James
VanderKam), for the Encyclopedia of the Dead Sea Scrolls. 2000.
[Much different from the
original draft available electronically.]
- "Early Developments of the 'Two-Ways Tradition(s)' in
Retrospect," pp. 136-143 in For a Later Generation (Nickelsburg
Festschrift ed R.A.Argall et al.). Trinity Press
International, 2000. [Expanded from the
original electronic form, which remains available.]
- "The Papyri Collection at the Center for Judaic Studies,
University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia): an Overview," pp. 749-752 in
vol. 2 of Atti del XXII Congresso Internazionale di Papirologia
(Firenze 23-29 agosto 1998), ed G.Bastianini et al. Instituto
Papirologico "G. Vitelli, Firenze, 2000. [ Electronic version of 1998, with
- "32-33. Some Ptolemaic Papyri Fragments," pp. 163-167 (and pl.
19) in Papyri in Honorem Johannis Bingen Octogenarii (P. Bingen),
ed Henri Melaerts. Leuven: Peeters 2000. [Expanded from electronic
version of 1999; the results are included in the Inventory Catalog for the papyri
collection at the Center for Advanced Judaic Studies at the University
- "The 'Textual Mechanics' of Early Jewish LXX/OG Papyri and
Fragments" ( internet publication
updated forms include and supplant the earlier materials); an
abbreviated form appears in The Bible as Book: the Transmission of
the Greek Text, edited by Scot McKendrick and Orlaith A. O'Sullivan
(British Library & Oak Knoll Press 2003) [proceedings of a
VanKampen Foundation conference, May 1998]
- "Format Features in the Earliest Jewish Greek Literary Papyri
and Related Materials," one of various expansions of
aspects of the preceding entry, summarized at the Papyrological
Congress in Vienna (July 2001) and the International Organization for
Septuagint and Cognate Studies Congress in Basel (August 2001).
[Hardcopy will appear in various forms and versions.]
- "The Codex and Canon Consciousness," pp. 229-233 (item 14) in The
Canon Debate, edited by Lee Martin McDonald and James A. Sanders
(Peabody MA: Hendrickson 2002) [see also the expanded
- "Pliny on Essenes,
Pliny on Jews," Dead Sea Discoveries 8
(2001) [in honor of Emanuel Tov] 255-261. [JSTOR-Brill]
- [The Pseudepigrapha and Christianity, Revisited:] "Setting
the Stage and Framing Some Central Questions," Journal for the Study of Judaism 32
(2001) 371-395 [see also the
updated electronic version]. [originally for SNTS
Colloquium, Tel Aviv, August 2000].
- (with Benjamin G. Wright) "Coptic/Sahidic Fragments of the
Biblical Psalms in the University of Pennsylvania Museum," pp. 163-177
in The Old Greek Psalter: Studies in
Honour of Albert Pietersma, ed . R.J.V.Hiebert, Claude E. Cox
and Peter J. Gentry (Journal for the
Study of the Old Testament Supplement Series 332; Sheffield
Academic Press 2001).
- "Exploring Early Jewish
Greek Literary Practices," pp. 673-676 in Bible and Computer:
The Stellenbosch AIBI-6 Conference.
Proceedings of the Association Internationale Bible et Informatique
"From Alpha to Byte"; University of Stellenbosch 17-21 July, 2000,
edited by Johann Cook (Leiden/Boston: Brill 2002).
Amherst Papyri Revisited: Fragments of LXX/OG MSS" in Hamlet on
a Hill: Semitic and Greek Studies Presented to Prof. T. Muraoka on the
Occasion of his Sixty-Fifth Birthday (Analecta Orientalia
Lovaniensia 118; Leuven: Peeters 2003).
Newly Identified LXX/OG Fragments among the Amherst Papyri at the
Pierpont Morgan Library in New York City," pp.551-570 in EMANUEL:
Studies in Hebrew Bible, Septuagint, and Dead Sea Scrolls in honor of
Emanuel Tov, edited by Shalom M. Paul, Robert A. Kraft, Lawrence H.
Schiffman and Weston W. Fields, with the assistance of Eva Ben-David
(Leiden/Boston: Brill 2003).
Weighing of the Parts: Pivots and Pitfalls in the
Study of Early Judaisms and their Early Christian Offspring," pp. 87-94
in The Ways that Never Parted: Jews and Christians in Late
Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages,
edited by Adam H. Becker and Annette Yoshiko Reed
(Texts and Studies in Ancient Judaism 95;
TÃ¼bingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2003).
- "How I Met
the Computer, and How it Changed my Life," SBL Forum Spring 2004.
- "Reviving (and Refurbishing) the Lost Apocrypha of M. R. James," pp.
37-51 in Things Revealed: Studies in
Early Jewish and Christian Literature in Honor of Michael E. Stone,
ed. Esther G. Chazon, David Satran and Ruth A. Clemens (Supplements to
the Journal for the Study of Judaism 89; Brill 2004) [Also an electronic
version, and an overview
of the project].
- "Daniel Outside the Traditional Jewish Canon: In the Footsteps of
M. R. James," pp. 121-133 in Studies
in the Hebrew Bible, Qumran, and
the Septuagint: Essays
Presented to Eugene Ulrich on the Occasion of His Sixty-Fifth Birthday, ed. Emanuel Tov, James VanderKam and Peter
to Vetus Testamentum 101; Brill 2006). [Also an electronic version.]
- "Reassessing the Impact of Barthelemy's Devanciers, Forty Years
Later," in Bulletin of the
International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies [submitted March 2005]
- "Philo's Bible Revisited: the â€˜Aberrant Textsâ€™
Quotations of Moses," pp. 237-253 in Interpreting
Translation: Studies on the LXX and Ezekiel in Honour of Johan Lust,
ed F. Garcia Martinez and M. Vervenne with the collaboration of B.
2005) [also an expanded
version with working notes appended].
- "Robert W.
Funk and the SBL," Society of Biblical Literature
Forum, October 2005.
- "Para-Mania: Beside, Before,
and Beyond Bible Studies" (SBL Presidential Address, 18 Nov
2006), Journal of Biblical Literature 126 (2007) 5-27 [ full electronic version with
- "Pursuing the
Para-Scriptural by way of the Pre-Scriptural" [delivered to a
University of Toronto Seminar, 11 April 2007]
- "The Birth [Gestation] of the Canon: from
Scriptures to 'THE Scripture' in early Judaism and early Christianity"
[delivered at University of Toronto, 12 April 2007; includes some
- "Pursuing Papyri and
Papyrology by Way of eBay: A Preliminary
Report" given to
the 25th International Congress of Papyrology, 3 August 2007, Ann Arbor
MI [a frames
version also is available for integrated viewing].
- "In Search of Jewish
Greek Scriptures: Exposing the Obvious?" prepared for the Toronto
conference on "Editorial Problems" (1-4 November 2007); also presented
at the Center for Advanced Judaic Studies in Philadelphia (10de2007).
Codex, and Canons: the
Relationship of Ancient Book Formats to Larger Collections and
Anthologies (with Special Reference to Jewish and Christian
Scriptures)" (21 February 2008 Classical Studies and Ancient History
colloquium, University of Pennsylvania)
- Exploring the Scripturesque: Jewish Texts and their Christian Contexts.
Supplements to the Journal for the Study of Judaism 137. Leiden &
Boston: Brill, 2009. A collection of essays, with some updating
and some pieces previously available only electronically:
- 00. Introduction [new]
- 01. The Pseudepigrapha in Christianity [1994 (1976)]
- 02. The Pseudepigrapha and Christianity Revisited 
- 03. Christian Transmission 
- 04. The Weighing of the Parts 
- 05. Combined Review -- Charlesworth and Sparks [1987, 1988]
- 06. Recensional Problem 
- 07. Ezra 
- 08. Latin Text of 5 Ezra 
- 09. Enoch in T. 12 Patriarchs 
- 10. The Dialogue of Timothy and Aquila and its Echoes of Judaism
- 11. Pliny on Essenes 
- 12a-b. Philo on Seth  and Enoch 
- 13. Philo on 7 
- 14. Philo and the Sabbath Crisis 
- 15 TJA and the Crisis 
- ++. Review and Prospects [new]
- ++. Comprehensive Index [new]
- "What is “Bible”? – from the
Perspective of “Text” [the Christian Connections]" (for the conference "What is Bible?" in Landau, Germany, on 31 May 2010)
PUBLICATIONS: MINOR BOOK REVIEWS AND NOTICES
PUBLICATIONS: TRANSLATIONS FROM GERMAN
Prigent, LE TESTIMONIA DANS LE CHRISTIANISME PRIMITIF:
L'EPITRE DE BARNABE I-XVI ET SES SOURCES (1961). Journal of
Theological Studies 13 (1962) 401-408 [JSTOR-SBL]
Beyer, SEMITISCHE SYNTAX IN NEUEN TESTAMENT I:1 (1962). Gnomon 35
- J. Smit Sibinga, THE OLD TESTAMENT TEXT OF JUSTIN MARTYR I:
THE PENTATEUCH (1963). Gnomon 36 (l964) 572-577
Barthelemy, LES DEVANCIERS D'AQUILA (1963). Gnomon 37 (1965)
SACRA IUXTA LATINAM VULGATAM VERSIONEM . . . 12. SAPIENTIA SALOMONIS,
LIBER HIESU FILII SIRACH (1964). Gnomon 37 (1965) 777-781 [JSTOR-SBL]
Jellicoe, THE SEPTUAGINT AND MODERN STUDY (1970).
Jewish Quarterly Review 61 (1970) 167-171 [JSTOR-Penn]
M. Robinson (ed.), THE NAG HAMMADI LIBRARY IN ENGLISH
(1977). Religious Studies Review 8.1 (January 1982) 32-52 [with Janet
and Christian Self-Definition. Volume One: The Shaping of Christianity
in the Second and Third Centuries. Edited by E. P. Sanders.
Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1980.
H. Charlesworth (ed.), THE OLD TESTAMENT PSEUDEPIGRAPHA (2 vol.,
1983-85), and H. F. D. Sparks (ed.) THE APOCRYPHAL OLD TESTAMENT (1984).
Religious Studies Review 14.2 (April 1988) 113-117. [See also Review of
Charlesworth in JBL (1987) 736-39. JSTOR-SBL]
P. Sanders, PAUL (1991). On the Electronic IOUD-REV
Journal for 13 September 1993.
Lange, Computer Aided Text-Reconstruction and Transcription:
CATT-MANUAL. Tuebingen: Mohr/Siebeck, 1993). On IOUD-REV.
- (co-editor with Beth Pollard, and contributor) Martin
Goodman (ed.), Jews in a Graeco-Roman World. Oxford:
Clarendon Press, 1998 (actually spring 1999). Pp. x, 293.
ISBN 0-19-815078-4.On Bryn Mawr Classical Review 2005.08.10 (8 Aug
Collected Biblical Writings of T. C. Skeat,
edited by J. Keith Elliott (Brill 2004). Pp. xxxiv + 298. On Review
of Biblical Literature [http://www.bookreviews.org] (2005); also on
Bryn Mawr Classical Review (2008)
PUBLICATIONS: EDITOR (with no specific contribution to content)
- M. Metzer, "Introduction to Preaching: the Route from Exegesis
to Proclamation." Journal for Theology and Church 2, ed.
J. M. Robinson and R. W. Funk. New York: Harper, 1965
- H. Riesenfeld, "Paul's 'Grain of Wheat' Analogy and the Argument
of I Corinthians 15." = pp. 171-186 in The Gospel
Tradition. Philadelphia: Fortress, 1970
Bauer, Orthodoxy and Heresy in Early Christianity (co-ed. with G.
Krodel). Philadelphia: Fortress, 1971 [partial PDF here; HTML in Google books]
- M. L. Margolis, "Specimen Article . . . ." = pp. 53-59 in
Septuagintal Lexicography, ed. RAK. SCS l. Missoula, Mont.: Society of
Biblical Literature, 1972
Treu, "The Significance of Greek for Jews in the Roman Empire" (with
William Adler) = KTREU ARTICLE on the Listserver of the IOUDAIOS
Electronic Seminar, 14 August 1991 (an earlier electronic version).
- Society of Biblical Literature Monograph Series 14-19.
Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1967-73, and Missoula, Mont.:
Scholars Press for Society of Biblical Literature, 1974
- International Organization for Septuagint and Cognate Studies:
1972 Proceedings. SCS 2. Missoula, Mont.: Society of Biblical
- Texts and Translations: Pseudepigrapha Series 1-8. Missoula,
Montana: Scholars Press for Society of Biblical Literature, 1972-78
- CCAT Portion of PHI/CCAT CD-ROM. Los Altos: Packard Humanities
Institute, 1987. Directly responsible also for production of the
following electronic items:
- 1.05 (with N. Hubler) Selected Coptic Biblical Books
- 1.09.1 (with D. Brueggemann) Apocrypha of the Authorized
- 1.10 (with W. Newby) Paraleipomena Jeremiah (Greek &
- 1.11 Pseudo-Paul, "3 Corinthians"
- 2.01 (with CATSS staff) Morphologically Analyzed "LXX"
- 2.02.3 (with T. Bergren) "5 Ezra"
- 2.03.1 (with B. Wright) Variants to the Book of Ruth
- 3.03.3 (with T. Bergren & B. Wright) Origen on Jer 2.21f
- 4.03 (with D. Brueggemann) Latin Word List of Legitimate
- 7.02 The
1880 Diary of Mary Ann Pierpont
- 7.03 English Word List of Legitimate Forms
DEGREES SUPERVISED (or Significantly Involved)
Hotchkiss, Robert V.: MA 05/1973
Arguments for the Dating of Jubilees
Dechow, Jon F.: PhD 08/1975
Dogma and Mysticism in Early Christianity: Epiphanius of Cyprus and the
Legacy of Origen
Magalis, Elaine: MA 05/1975
[Title ? ]
Koch, Glenn: PhD 08/1976
[Epiphanius on the Ebionites (Panarion 30)]
Purintun. Ann-Elizabeth: MA 12/1979
A Critical Edition of the Greek Text of Paraleipomena Jeremiou
Timbie, Janet: PhD 05/1979
Dualism and the Concept of Orthodoxy in the Thought of the Monks of
Himmelfarb, Martha: PhD 05/1981
Tours of Hell: The Development and Transmission of an Apocalyptic Form
in Jewish and Christian Literature
McKenna, Margaret: PhD 05/1981
The Two Ways in Jewish and Christian Writings of the Greco-Roman
Period: A Study of Form and Function
Remus, Harold: PhD 05/1981
Pagan-Christian Conflict Over Miracle in the Second Century
Adler, William: PhD 08/1982
George Syncellus and his Predecessors: Anti-Diluvian History in the
Chronical of Syncellus and his Acknowledged Authorities
Salmon, Dena K.: MA 08/1984
Translation and Commentary on Sifre Deuteronomy (DT 11-12)
Bergren, Theodore: PhD 12/1988
A Textual Investigation of 5 Ezra (4 Ezra 1-2)
Wright, Benjamin G. III: PhD 05/1988
New Perspective on Biblical Vocabulary and Translation Techniques:
Sirach and Its Presumed Hebrew Vorlage
Heschel, Susannah: PhD
Abraham Geiger and the Origins of Christianity
LiDonnici, Lynn R.: PhD 05/1989
Tale and Dream: The Text and Compositional History of the Corpus of
Epidaurian Miracle Lures
(O'Connor, Kathleen M.: PhD 05/1994
[Advisors: Sells & Matter]
The Alchemical Creation of Life (Takwin) and Other Concepts of Genesis
in Medieval Islam)
Pastis, Jacqueline: PhD 05/1995
Representations of Jews and Judaism in the Dialogue of Timothy and
Aquila: Construct or Social Reality?
Cohick, Lynn: MA 05/95, PhD 12/1996
[MA: The Tetragrammaton and its Various Renderings in Early Judaism and
Reassessing the Use of Scriptural Material and Interpretation in the
PERI PASXA Attributed to Melito of Sardis
Nilsson, Donal: PhD 05/1996
Studies of the New Testament Traditions in the Dialogue of Timothy and
Treat, Jay: PhD 05/1996
Lost Keys Text and Interpretation in Old Greek Song of Songs and Its
Earliest Manuscript Witnesses
(Fritz) [PhD AMES, Jeffrey Tigay])
Kerkeslager, Allen: PhD 12/1997
Jewish Pilgrimage and Jewish Identity in Hellenistic and Early Roman
Grossman, Maxine: [with Ross Kraemer] PhD 05/2000
Reading the History of the Righteous Remnant: Ideology and
Constructions of Identity in the Damascus Document
Sandmel, David Fox: [with Ross Kraemer,
Samuel Klausner, Israel
Bartal] PhD 05/2002
Into the Fray: Joseph Klausner on Early Judaism and Early Christianity
(Pollard, Elizabeth Lisi: [Ancient History, Brent Shaw, also with Ross
Kraemer] PhD 2002
Magic Accusations Against Women in the Greco-Roman World From the First
Through the Fifth Centuries C.E.)
Lander, Shira: [with Ross Kraemer, Brent Shaw] PhD 12/2002
Women and the Cult of the Martyrs in North Africa in the Fourth and
Marks, Susan: [with Ross Kraemer, David Stern] PhD 05/2003
Jewish Marriage in the Greco-Roman Period: A Reconsideration of
Blankenship, James [with Vasiliki Lamberis]
Subject to the Governing Authorities: A Tradition of Pauline
Interpretation in Late Antiquity
(Anisfeld, Rachel [AMES, David Stern] PhD 2004
Preacher and Audience: Exploring the Rhetorical Nature of the
Homiletical Midradhim Pesikta deRav Kahana and Leviticus Rabbah)
Gruen, William C. [Chip] PhD 2005
Religious and Ethnic Violence in the Imperial southeast Mediterranean
Schwarz, Sarah PhD 2005
Building a Book of Spells: Textual Development and Social History in
the Testament of Solomon
Peterson, Sigrid PhD 2006
Martha Shamuni: a Jewish Syriac Liturgical Text of the Maccabean
Trevor [Ancient History, with Brent Shaw, Jeremy McInerney,
Campbell Grey] PhD 2007
Presence, Prophecy, and Power in the Early Roman Empire)
Kirkegaard, Bradford PhD 2007
Christian Claiming and Reuse of Greco-Roman Sacred Space in the 4th and
Humm, Alan PhD 2008
The Decline of Prophecy in Second and Early Third Century Christianity
Bucher, Debra PhD 2008
Krulak, Todd PhD 2009
Ascetic Cohabitation and Authoritative Scriptures in the Epistula Titi Discipuli Pauli
The Animated Statue and the Ascension of the Soul: Ritual and the Divine Image in Late Platonism
Tolley, Harry PhD 2010
Ariston of Pella
Finkbeiner, Douglas PhD 2010
Josephus on Essenes
Kelly, Caroline (Ancient History) PhD 2010
Hadrian and Religion
Paul and the Persian Sage: the Legacy of Paul's Understanding of the
Law in the Demonstrations of Aphrahat
Testament of Job
Wellman, Tennyson J. [with Peter Struck]
Last modified, 26 March 2011
Robert A. Kraft,
kraft [at] ccat.sas.upenn.edu